The Hermitage can be reached from the square above, from where, having parked in one of the numerous parking spaces, visitors can descend the panoramic, 268-step staircase; or, if they have arrived by boat, they climb approximately 80 steps up from the lake. Visitors can also reach the Hermitage easily by taking the elevator, the entrance to which is near the car park.
It can be reached on foot, down a pleasant flight of steps leading from the square (with car park) overlooking the promontory to the entrance to the Hermitage, or by a modern elevator dug into the rock, recently constructed by Varese Province.
A hermitage everyone can visit
- Santa Caterina del Sasso open to the world.
- Religious devotion, together with the beauty of the places in which it was practised, are values that everyone is entitled to enjoy. Santa Caterina del Sasso, one of the most sacred and historically significant religious structures in our region, is completely free of barriers, particularly architectural barriers.
- Respect for the environment and for people.
- The hermitage, magically set into the rock overhanging Verbano, can be reached by everyone, along routes that are sustainable because they respect both the environment and people, particularly pilgrims who may be elderly or disabled.
- Elevator in the rock.
- Those with mobility problems can take the elevator from the Cascine del Quiquio entrance square down to the monastery 51 metres below, in just a few minutes.
- The panoramic flight of steps.
- It is also possible to reach the hermitage from Quiquio square, descending the undemanding and enchanting flight of steps looking out onto one of the most beautiful views of Lago Maggiore.